Thursday, December 25, 2008

10 hours til takeoff (Alton)

It was an interesting Christmas, to say the least. It was a much more hectic holiday than usual with opening presents, having Christmas dinner, and packing into the wee hours of the morning. For me, this break from school hasn't offered much free time, although it has brought a lot of excitement and fun. I have no doubt it will continue to do so over the next two weeks.

I do not know if there will be an opportunity for me to write here while in Kenya, but if I can get online I'll be sure to give yall some information, stories, and specific prayer requests. I'll be keeping a journal so I'll try and recreate some semblance of daily blog entries when I get back. And, of course, I'll try and get pictures and such on here.

I am very excited about this trip, although it still hasn't really sunk in yet. Pastor Jackson, a local Kenyan pastor who has played a key role in everything Port City's done over there including founding the orphanage and organizing this retreat, said he's had 350 kids sign up for the conference. That is a lot more than we were expected, and I'm pretty sure they are still accepting kids. While this may create some logistical complications, it is truly a blessing to have an opportunity to reach so many kids.

I need to get some sleep, but I didn't want to leave for this trip without giving this information and, more importantly, giving a few things that you can pray for. Please pray that:
-The kids who God wants to speak to through this camp will get there.
-Brett, Mark, Dave and I will allow God to speak through us while talking in main session, and that everyone on the team will facilitate life-changing conversation in small groups.
-Safe travels for us and those going to the conference as students.
-Kenyans can put their trust in Jesus and not things of this world, including Barack Obama. As remarkable a man as he is, we know that he cannot fix all of America's problems, much less Kenya's. Pray that they will find a greater Hope than any man could ever offer, a hope for freedom and new life.

Should have posted this a while ago. This is the team going:















Here's a youtube video of some of the boys at the orphanage from an earlier trip by people in our church. It's so cool to think in 2 days I'm probably going to meet these kids, plus hundreds more! I wish I was as musically talented as they are.


Well, bout time I get some sleep. Tomorrow night New York City, next night Kenya. Hope to write here again soon. Feel free to email me any comments/questions.

God bless!
Alton

1 comment:

Alton Russell said...

We know you arrived in Nairobi this morning, and we're so relieved you are there. We love you and are praying for you and the kids. Mom & Dad